Wednesday 10 June 2015

Useful Oddments in Tatted Lace

Tatting is one of my most favorite hand crafts, apart from knitting. I was taught how to tatt by the wonderful ladies of the Flying Fish Point CWA (Country Woman's Association) a few years ago on my 25th birthday. I had been wanting to learn how to do it since I was little girl. I had first found it in a Reader's Digest Book on Craft, but I had only managed in confusing myself terribly and making a large, tangled mess. I love the rhythm one gets into when tatting. However, I really don't like the unpicking of all the teeny-tiny stitches when I make a mistake!

This scan comes from the Furness Tatting Designs book, No. 2., and was written by Marjorie Willis. All the designs in the book have Kiwi names.

I have a feeling this book was actually my Great Aunt Monica's book, rather than my Grandma's, as Grandma had told me that she never knew how to tatt, and was facinated when I used to sit under her house and work on my projects.

Funny little tip from the back of the book:
"Sprays and Posies which have become limp through humidity in the atmosphere or getting wet become as new by shaping the petals with the fingers, and drying in moderate heat. A posy perched on your shoulder whilst at the hairdressers will benefit by the drier. A further application of Gum Arabic is not needed."

No comments:

Post a Comment